Thursday, April 10, 2008

How Brown Was My Valley

I've become a slave to my lawn.

Recently we paid a lot of money to have the lawn fertilized and seeded to revive it for spring. I feel like I now have a huge investment in my grass of all things. Our sprinklers are on the skids so I've been hand-watering in the morning and evening and checking it frequently to make sure those dang little grass seeds are going to take. They had better.

After renting a house at a Christian campground for a few years, I kinda got used to having a lot of dirt and wide open space. Now, although I feel squished into our culdesac, we have a pretty sizeable front yard which we constantly coddle to stay green in our desert-like climate. I can't help but think how many veggies we could grow there. I doubt the neighbors would appreciate it much. But at least when I'm out there trying to keep it alive I could feel like it was giving something back to us.

We're working on a garden plot in the backyard but I've decided we'll be having a lot of picnics on our emerald green front lawn this summer. We're going to get our money's worth, by golly.

No comments:

Post a Comment