Monday, August 4, 2008

Rules of Property

I was putting away my things last night when The Boss spied the Spiderman pencil box which holds my drawing stuff. He asked if he could see it and I showed him. The following exchange ensued.

Him: "Can that be mine?"
Me: "No."
Him: "Why not?"
Me: "Because it's mine."
Him: "But I want it because I like it so I want it so it can be mine."

Reminding me of the Toddler Rules of Property which apparently extend well into the pre-school years and beyond:

__________

If I like it, it's mine.
If it's in my hand, it's mine.
If I can take it from you, it's mine.
If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
If I think it's mine, it's mine.


__________

These rules supply endless fodder for disagreement between the littles because, naturally, they apply exclusively to each toddler and pre-schooler on the planet.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, but you forgot the all important rule: If its broken its yours!

    ReplyDelete