Monday, September 29, 2008

School Dilemmas

It's still only September and I'm already fretting over decisions about school for next year.

The Boss will be old enough to start kindergarten, but it's doubtful he'll be ready. I've been thinking about homeschooling for him and even if he is ready to start, may go that route since I don't really want him in public school but cannot afford private. I don't want to delay a year because he would end up in the same grade as Seamonkey who does not struggle with the same difficulties and delays.

Squeaker is scared to death to start high school next year. She is concerned, with good reason, about her ability to regulate her emotions in the much bigger setting of public high school. She has asked me several times if I will allow her to be homeschooled. I actually think that would be best but I'm concerned, also with good reason, about her ability to regulate her emotions at home when the stress of schooling is added. I think she will do much better academically with a more customized lesson plan because she tests very high in most subjects but has low grades due to her homework and class work. She has been able to learn all the subject matter required while rarely turning in the work because she has an amazing memory and is an auditory learner. I would like for her to be able to attend a private Christian school too but no Christian school I've ever heard of will accept a child with emotional and behavior problems. She'd probably be expelled the first week.

I know that the potential for conflict and outbursts will be greater if we do decide to homeschool so for the remainder of this year my brain will be constantly running through pros and cons. The very idea of dealing with her behavior through four years of public high school gives me the shudders. So for today at least I'm definitely leaning another way on that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment