Thursday, August 21, 2008

Letting Go

Peaches asked me the other day how I can get rid of so much stuff as she finds it very hard to do.

There are a number of reasons why lately I have found it easier than ever to let things go. Some of it has to do with the fact that it helps my mental clarity. I'm tired of dealing with excessive stuff when sometimes just getting through the "have tos" every day is more than enough. I'm not saying everyone should do it but that's what works for me. I am easily depressed and have to work very hard at staying focused. Less stuff, easier task. And a heaping helping of daily caffiene doesn't hurt either.

However, it occured to me while driving home on Monday that when you can't even hold on to the kids you care about then you care much less about the stuff. I know that foster care is supposed to be temporary and that we did the best we could for many of the longer term kids that won't ever go home. Some have returned to their birth families, often back to a situation not much better than that which they were removed from. Some were moved to other foster homes or group homes. We would be torn up with grief and concern if we constantly worried about all 300+ children that have passed through our home(s). But you just connect more with some than others...especially those that stay for a while. We still think of them often and hope and wonder, worry and pray even years after they have gone. And we will do the same for Drama Boy and Sparky.

All our hopes and prayers for our special ones who have moved on. They were all "keepers" who we couldn't hold on to forever: Diana, Brian, Alex, Cody, Cameron, Jacob, Lucas, Wanish, Autumn, Emma, Kaylyn, Tito, Brian & Brandon, Ryder & Stormy, Mikey, Corbin, Jose, Henry, Anthony, Angel. Be well. Be happy. We love you and pray you find Jesus along the way as well as many, many others who love you.

1 comment: