Friday, September 26, 2008

Hello? Hello?

Each night this week some guy has called our answering machine between 8:30 and 9:00 and said only, "Hello? Hello?" before hanging up. Weird.

Not unlike what I feel like saying to the kids everyday when I talk to them and get no response. "Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?"

I understand my parents so much better now that I have kids. Only my dad always said, "Are there words coming out of my mouth?" I don't think it's that we become our parents so much as some inherent ability that kids have to drive adults nuts and exterminate parental brain cells in the same way generation after generation.

But what goes around comes around. They'll probably be parents some day too.

2 comments:

  1. And will hopefully have "twins - just like themselves"... at least, that's what my parents wished on me ;) For you they probably wished quadruplets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. But maybe true.
    Actually my 13 year old adopted daughter is a lot like I was at her age. Kinda snarky and overly-emotional. None of that nature/nurture debate here. It just came back to bite me. My poor parents!

    ReplyDelete