Monday, December 31, 2007

It's Like the Song that Never Ends....

Sparky is still going strong at 9:57pm. He wrote some apology notes hoping, I suppose, that he would have no consequences for his actions today. Unfortunately, something set him off and away he went again.

I unintentionally scared the snot out of him when he began picking at the paint on a door with a screwdriver that he's been using to try to jimmy locks. I made a grab for his hand and when he ran I followed. He gave me the screwdriver right away and then screamed at me for 20 minutes for scaring and abusing him. I think my pinky grazed his wrist but I can't be sure.

He's thrown the cushions off the couch and pushed the living room furniture all around. He's also refusing to go to bed and can't believe he doesn't get a "second chance" so he can stay up until midnight. As if he read my previous blog he told Ana "I'm going to be bad unless you let me stay up."

Squeaker also lost the privilege of staying up by getting mouthy when I asked her if she heard me tell her to pick up her shoes since she didn't respond. She and Sparky apparently compared notes and decided they earned the right to talk back and be as disrespectful as possible. Why does it surprise them that they'll be hailing the new year from their beds?

Ana and I are pretty wiped out and can't wait to say good-bye to this day and year. I would hate to give the impression that the kids act like turkeys all the time because that's not entirely accurate. "A great deal of the time" is pretty close to the truth. On the flip side though, Peaches has been helpful, loving, and fun over the holidays. Also visiting is one of our former foster kiddos who is now 17. We still get to enjoy her company often. It gives us hope to see the older girls doing well. These are really tough times for the middles and we continue to hang on and pray for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment