Friday, February 8, 2008

This Does Not Set A Precedent!

Well, I'm smacking myself in the head again for thinking I could treat my kids like typical 9 and 11 year olds.

We took the kids to a fast-food restaurant for an ice cream cone after dinner on Monday so they could expend some energy on the playground. Instead of being grateful for an unexpected treat, they now expect it to be a regular weeknight occurance. I actually had to redirect some angry behavior that was heading toward a tantrum. How dare I deny him his right to go out for ice cream every night? That's not fair!

This happens nearly every time we deviate from an established routine. I tried once to explain to Sparky that just because he was granted permission to do something one time, did not mean he had permission to do it whenever he wanted. He just kept saying, "But you let me do it last week!" Finally, exasperated, I told him, "Well, that was a mistake." He answered, "Then don't make mistakes!"

I'll remember that the next time I feel like being generous and spontaneous with my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment